Sunday, November 1

Halloween...I'm just not sure.


I used to hate Halloween. I have several reasons for this.
1. I don't like the dark. I am still a little afraid of it.
2. I don't like to be scared. Really- I don't even watch scary commercials.
3. I am not really sure that I should support a holiday that glorifies evil.
4. It is called a holiday, but school isn't out and banks aren't closed. Does that make it a pseudo-holiday?
5. I got to trick-or-treat as a very young child, but because of convictions beyond my control, most years were spent trick-or-treating from one room of our house to the other. Mom was really good about giving out the good candy though.
6. It takes the focus off of my birthday month. :)

Since I have become a parent, my feelings are starting to change.
1. I love to dress my kids up and show them off. They are really cute, if I do say so myself. They are even cuter dressed up in little costumes. Sarah was a flower this year and Jonathan was Spiderman (again). My sweet sister actually loaned me an ADORABLE baby chick costume, but Sarah cried when I put it on her. So, Flower it was.
2. All candy that comes into this house is fair game, (mostly to Jeff). My weakness is brownies. And, after a week or two, all candy that hasn't been consumed gets put into our treasure box. Poor Jonathan doesn't even know that he has to work for the same piece of candy 2 times.
3. Family-members who live nearby wonder why we won't let them see the children in their sweet costumes.
4. I don't want my kids to miss out on any fun experience as long as they are safe.

My problem is: What am I teaching my children in the long run?

I don't get pleasant reactions from them in regards to Halloween. My oldest is grumpier, meaner, and less thankful the more candy that he receives. Shouldn't it be the opposite? And for the next week or so, I will have a dilemma each time he asks for a piece. Do I give it to him, even though he already had some an hour earlier? Do I say No and watch a melt-down?

And of course, there is the age-old issue of supporting evil. It is hard to get around the fact that scripture tells us to run from it. Most things done on Halloween night (esp after the little kids go to bed) are not good, pure, righteous, etc. Not to be holier-than-thou, but I think about this stuff.

My sweet husband isn't really a help at all in this regards. His opinion is pretty low of anything that messes up our supper/bedtime routine. If we could have Halloween around 3 in the afternoon, he would love it. :) As it is, he tolerates it. He even enjoys blaming me when people ask why we don't trick-or-treat.

I'm interested in other opinions about this subject. Am I the only mother that wants her child to experience all the fun of Halloween, but don't really know the best way to do this?

I am glad that it only comes once a year. I really don't have to think about this until next October. Maybe by then, I will have come to a conclusion.

Have a good day!
Confused

No comments: