Do you ever feel like you are in a time warp and when you look up, everything has changed??? That is the way I am around here sometimes. I mean, when did my baby boy turn into a "big boy"? When did my infant little girl get big enough to crawl and eat with her fingers?
He has begun to seriously enjoy coloring. It is such a blessing to sit and do nothing for an hour except color with your child. He loves that I can stay in the lines, I love that he tries. We have to use separate books though b/c he feels the need to "help" you color. Also, we are both blessed to be left-handed and that makes it hard to color on the same space.
The other day, while we were coloring, he informed me that his preschool teacher had outlawed "potty talk".
"What is Potty talk?" I asked him (I really just wanted to hear his response. You don't grow up in the Mayfield house without learning a lot of "potty talk").
"It is when you say potty" he told me.
"Oh"
Then he cupped his hand to his mouth, smiled real big, and got real quiet. "But sometimes I say "Potty or Doo-doo" Then he began to laugh. I had to laugh too.
I wonder if by making it an issue, his teacher isn't just encouraging them to talk ugly. Last week in his class the letter of the week was "F". He came home one day and whispered that he had figured out a little "F" word that wasn't nice. (Mind you- no one else was in the room, don't really know why he whispered) When I asked him what it was, he giggled again and said "FART", then died laughing. I had to send him to his daddy to repeat it- Jeff thought it was as funny as I did.
His imagination overwhelms me sometimes. Jeff and I get a kick out of watching him go from a mild mannered little boy to a superhero or cowboy in a matter of 30 seconds. Like this evening, I was playing with him while Sarah was napping. We played outside for an hour. We started out playing soccer with his big plastic ball. Just about the time that I would figure out where he wanted the goals to be, he would begin yelling that we were on the same team and "Look out for the other guys!". Then after we had run around for a little bit keeping the ball from the other team, he yelled that we had to look out for the wolf. The wolf turned out to be Jack who really could care less about our adventures, he was busy barking at the chickens. Oh well- I got a chance to run around and act like a fool.
Sarah decided to go on a nursing strike last Friday. She didn't nurse again until yesterday afternoon (Sunday). Who really knows what the real problem was, I'm blaming teething. I was a bundle of nerves for the whole weekend though. I know that worrying is unhealthy and not godly, but I wasn't ready to quit nursing. I consulted everyone in the world. I felt like a goober for getting worked up over something that I had no control over, but I was at a loss. Thankfully, she seems to be ready to nurse again. I hope that she'll go until she is a year old.
Other than that, she is a joy to be around, MOST of the time. She doesn't like for Mommy or Daddy to leave the room. She is getting better about it though, will calm down after a few minutes. She has a smile that will melt your heart and can clap and wave now on command. We are working on signing the word, Please. The actual sign is: one hand, pulled flat across your chest. Her sign is: both arms flying. If you don't see her flying arms, she'll make a quick little noise. If that isn't noticed, it is all out yelling until you solve the problem. Eating with her is amusing, but tiring. You have to keep the finger food coming. She can actually chew a ton with only 4 teeth.
When we were pregnant, I just prayed that the Lord would send us who we needed to complete our family. I guess she does. Jonathan thinks the world of her, thankfully. He got a chance to take a bath with her tonight. They both thought it was the coolest thing ever! Sarah talked and laughed at him, until he would pour water over her head. Then she would get mad at him. I really thought about videoing it, but decided not to.
That is about all the random thoughts that I have for the night. Just wanted to bring some of my followers up to date. Have a good one!
4 comments:
So sweet!! Love reading the update!
I LOVED reading your update and hearing about how great your kids are :) Miss you sweet friend!
theres a lot of "little f" word around our house.. so much that weve had to have a sit down talk about how people outside our house dont think its as funny as we do... so lets not fart out loud at school and start dying laughing bc your teacher will most likely not find it as funny as your mother does. i will crack up at farts until the day i die.
i totally LOVE that his little "F" word was fart!!!! your mama used to get so mad at us when one of us would yell "WHO FARTED?" at the top of our lungs. most of the time it was as we were running out the door so she couldn't come after us. we would die laughing every single time!
Post a Comment