Thursday, March 12

Who said that babies are fun???

I had a crazy morning Tues and thought that I would share it with my other mother friends out there.


I have become very social recently. I really think that it is due to the fact that my husband is working "light duty" at the fire station. Instead of working the regular shift that we have become accustomed to (1 day gone, 2 days off), he is working real hours (7-4 pm). That means that I am an actual Mom for the next 2 months or until he goes back to his real job.

Anyway- I decided to meet a friend for lunch down near Discover Mills. We chose to meet at her work at 11:15 in order for me to be back up at the church to pick Jonathan up from preschool by 12:45. No problem, right?

The problem is Sarah. My child has become so good at nursing that she hasn't taken a bottle at all- not even when forced to. I suppose she would if she ever really had to, like if I died or my breasts became injured, but other than that, she is sticking with the boobs.

Now on Tues, feeding time would have been 11:30. I decided to drive on to my friend's work, try and nurse a little early in her parking lot, and my baby would be fat and happy for my adult lunch (meaning- no playground or sharing my food). When I drove up to her office complex, I noticed straw bundles placed all over the complex in orderly piles. Around here, that means that Russell Landscaping is nearby and it is pinestraw day. So, I drove around looking for the men who were working or a remote location to nurse. Since the guys were way in the back, I decided to park near the front of the building, sort of out of the normal flow of traffic.

We were fine for the first half. She ate well, except for the few pooping noises that she made. No problem- I would change it when she was done. When I went to change sides, I noticed that she had gone thru her outfit and onto my khaki pants. While I was changing her in the front seat of my Honda Accord (b/c we have 2 car seats in the back), she also proceeded to get the changing pad soiled as well. I put on her backup outfit, only to realize that it was too small now and her leg wouldn't straighten out b/c the footies were too short!

About the time I started on the second side, the landscapers pulled up right next to me. I covered up a little better and avoided eye contact. I decided to change parking spots b/c I was now at the landscaping stopping point and would be directly in their line of activity very soon. I tossed Sarah into her car seat, one leg out of her outfit, not buckled, spit up running down her new outfit. While locating another spot, I started to leak out of my shirt. A nice, round, wet spot.

When my friend showed up at my car door, there I sat, with my wet boob mark, poop spot on my leg, walmart child with one leg hanging out of her outfit, unsnapped b/c it was really too hot for long sleeves.

Ah- motherhood!!!!

We really did have a nice lunch (Chick-Fil-A). On the way home I saw someone who was having worse trouble than wet boob marks. 2 police cars turned on their lights in front of me and when I looked there was a person face down handcuffed lying in the grass on the side of the road. Poor guy is going to have grass stains now.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Heather, You completely make me chuckle. :) I'm glad you had a wonderful lunch despite the drama of having a "walmart baby" as you so described her. I know you are a wonderful mother!

amy said...

ha! crackin' me up! love the wet boob spot and poop on your pants and you STILL went to lunch! LOVE IT! babies... what can you do but hug 'em tight and give them a boob!!

The Spears Family said...

An awesome mom story! I distinctly remember Charlie wearing a hot pink shawl home from McDonald's one day because of the failure to take a back-up outfit.

Criddy said...

Why did I not know that you had a blog...I have a blog!! Wahoo for blogs!