Whew- what a day it has already been and it is only 3 pm! I decided that I would take Jonathan to his first real movie at the movie theater. Mostly, because Regal Cinema puts on these free movies during the summer for those of us dumb enough to brave the crowds. I met a friend (with her 4 year old and 2 month old) and went in. The movie was "March of the Penguins" so it was non-violent (except for the one part where a seal snags a penguin) and watching the mommy and daddy penguins "go to work" was interesting. Jonathan did well for his first time and was pretty content to eat his cheerios (and whatever his friend handed him), whisper really loud, look at the people behind him, and see how many times he could get from his seat to my lap and back without Brooklee taking his spot. In fact, several times, she would tell him to be quiet (although she was whispering as loud as he was) and he would tell her "No- I'm talking to MY Mommy!!!". When it was over, Jonathan jumped up and down and announced to the whole theater that it was time to eat!
We headed downstairs to await another friend who was joining us to use her free Chick-Fil-A coupons (I love VBS!) and eat lunch with us. In the process, we got to ride the elevator, and try and explain why no one could ride the carousel yet. (Ever tried to explain that to a 2 year old???)
Lunch went well- Jonathan ate all his lunch and used up most of my chapstick on his upper lip while the adults were talking. But hey- he was quiet and contained- even offered some to the strangers passing behind our table.
After lunch, I decided to check out a few sales. Now I never wanted to become one of THOSE parents, but peer pressure and $2.00 flip flops made me.... I allowed my child to PLAY CHASE in the Children's Place store! It hurts even to write that. I didn't really see a problem with it. We were about the only ones in there, they were fairly quiet, and it was a place made for children - right? Well- I quickly learned a powerful lesson when I heard my baby fall and rip his knee open. I hate that my kid got hurt because his mommy made a stupid decision! Needless to say, I didn't get the flip flops, he screamed all the way back to the food court bathroom, and I felt like a heel.
He is fine- we put a bandaid on it. But does Motherhood get easier? Do you ever find that thin line between allowing your child to play and protecting him? (I mean, if it is somewhere made to play- not a mall dept store?) YIKES!!!!
6 comments:
no one ever knows where that line is. you either feel like an overbearing stiff parent or that parent that you talk bad about behind their back. i found myself letting mason and kendall play hide and seek in the clothes rack at macys last week. whatever works that day-- ya know? wait until #2- i would never have let mason do half the stuff kendall does.
good to know I'm not alone. Should have seen the ugly look that I got from the worker as I carried my screaming child out! Oh well- live and learn.
Ouch! That's hard lesson to learn. Just remember, pick your battles carefully. I try not to keep the reigns too tight, but I also try to keep them close enough to see them.
Sounds like ya'll had a fun day!!! And, it looks like I'll have a lot to learn when the time comes huh???
We should meet for lunch one day this summer... I'd love to see you and meet Jonathan.
trip did the same thing a the mall a long time ago. he was running in a store & fell. he busted his lip open & it was bleeding like crazy. we didn't have a diaper bag with us, so we just had to carry him down to the bathroom, too. we got the stares from quite a few people.
i say... kids will be kids. they are going to get hurt from time to time, but that shouldn't keep us from letting them enjoy themselves... as long as the activity isn't a dangerous one. i don't think playing in a mall store would make any type of 'dangerous' list!
Aw come on . . . I'd let my kids play chase for $2 flip flops!!
Post a Comment