Sunday, September 24

Pizza toss

You may not think this is funny, but I laughed so hard that I had tears.

Today, after church, a couple of friends and I went out to Mellow Mushroom for lunch. There were about 16 people in all, and I sat across from a new guy named Eric. I have only met Eric once before, but he is a fairly nice guy. He is also single and doesn't have children. Somehow, he ended up across from me- lucky guy! We all decided to order 4 large pizzas so that everyone could have a few pieces of whatever. Jonathan inhaled his first piece of cheese and was ready for another before I could really even start mine. So, I just asked around the table for whatever wasn't going the fastest, assuming that I could pick off whatever he didn't need to eat. I ended up with a jalepeno, olive, and mushroom piece - yeah, gross. I picked off the jalepenos and gave them to Eric (who asked for them). I cut up the rest and tossed it on Jonathan's plate. It was then that I decided to taste it, really just b/c a tiny piece was still on my plate. What happened next is still a mystery to me. It was so spicy, it lit up my mouth! I grabbed the pieces off of my son's plate, tossed them onto mine, and slid the rest of the uncut pizza onto Eric's plate! Why I chose to rid myself of the offensive piece, I don't know. I wasn't thinking.
The look on this poor guy's face was priceless! He just kind of looked at me, and then back at his plate. Thankfully, he decided not to press the issue and ate the used piece. It wasn't until I had gotten my son set with a new piece of cheese that I realized what had happened. Even though I was embarrased, Eric thought it was funny. He said that although he really didn't mind the jalepeno pizza, but didn't understand why I felt the need to put it on his plate. I still don't know.
Oh well- I just chalk it up to the insanity that goes along with motherhood. I hope Eric comes back to our church.

4 comments:

mk said...

how funny! i wish i could've seen his face. if he comes back to church and doesn't totally avoid you, then you know you've made a new friend. the real test is whether or not he'll go to lunch with your group again.

Amber said...

friends that cant share pizza are no friends of mine.

Mother of the Year said...

What man wouldn't want to come back to a place where women cut up food and feed it to them? I think it's probably high up on his "attributes to find in a wife" list!

amy said...

i was crackin' up reading that! good thing i wasn't there... i would have probably spit out my pizza laughing at the pizza toss took place & then to watch you realize what you had just done!