We started potty-training when Jonathan turned 3, back in January. He really wasn't ready until then, neither were we. It has progressed fairly slowly, but he had the hang of it before we went to Florida for the Memorial Day weekend to visit family. Because of the long drive and crazy hours, he wore a bathing suit or a pull-up for most of the weekend. He must have enjoyed the freedom because when we got back, he began wetting/messing on himself all over again. It was enough to make me crazy (and has on several occasions around here).
I sought advice from our preschool director at church. She advised me to back off a little, let him clean up the mess that he makes (taking underwear to laundry, etc), and to remember that this is one area in his life where he is in control (I can't MAKE him pee in the potty).
So, Monday I decided to let him do just that- no stress on me. Within a few hours of awakening, he had already had his first accident. It wasn't huge, but his "big boys" were messy. I calmly told him that he was in charge of cleaning them up after he finished up in the toilet. He was fine with that. I told him to wash them out in the sink. When I came back to check on him a few minutes later, he was obeying.....with his toothbrush!!!!
After my shock and quick removal of the now filthy toothbrush, I showed him the correct way to clean out dirty underwear.
Thankfully- that was the only accident of the day, plus he got a new toothbrush out of the deal!
8 comments:
jonathan has obviously been hanging out with trey too much, his poop habits are rubbing off. stay away from media play!
oh heather! we are in the throws of potty training with Quinn. it almost killed me with Trip & I'm not sure if I'll survive it this time! He has been in underwear since Saturday & has had several accidents already. I might try having him help clean up his messes to see if that will help.
i would probably lock him in his room until kindergarten if i saw him cleaning poo with his toothbrush!! YIKES!!
Oh my gosh!! I'm not quite sure what I would've done. Sounds like you handled it pretty well though.
Oh my Heather! Prayers to you (and Amy) as ya'll potty train! That sounds like a great idea to have him help clean up his mess. Hopefully that will do the trick for ya'll!
Hey Heather! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm sooooo excited for you! I know my mom would be ecstatic! In fact, she's probably jumping for joy in heaven. :)
If you want to put the updated thing like I Have, it's simple... go to your dashboard (or customize), then layout - then page elements. then there should be a way to "rearrange" your page, with a "button" that says Add a Page Element. Click on it, then you want to click on blog list. Then you just type in the addresses for the blogs you want. and it will do the rest!
If ya'll aren't too busy this summer we should try to meet for lunch!
<3 Mere
i heard that you are PREGGO again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOO HOOO! CoNgRaTulAtIOnS!!!
How far along are you?
Congrats on the potty training and the new one on the way!! I believe life is so much easier when they are completely done with diapers/pull ups/training pants until you have to start thinking about the next milestones - going to school and puberty!
Hey Heather! So, congratulations are in order? YIPPEE! On a totally different topic, I wanted to see if we could plan a play date for this Friday or sometime next week. My e-mail is acloud@hotmail.com. I think Jonathan and John David would have fun together and I'd love catching up with you. Let me know if we can plan something. You are welcome here or we would be glad to come your way, whichever is best for you.
Post a Comment